Saturday 10 September 2011

Weekly Stitch 'n Bitch

Almost every Tuesday the girls and I catch up for a pre-Playgroup stitch 'n' bitch. We all bring along whatever project we're working on, chat, drink tea (or cappucinos from Phillipa's coffee machine), eat and talk. There's usually a lot of eating and talking.
First things first, scones in the oven!
Last week Phillipa treated us to our favourite scone recipe with the added goodness of sultanas. I can't begin to describe how much I love fruit scones - I don't know why I always forget to add the sultanas when I make them because I ALWAYS have some in my pantry! While they were cooking we all took turns with the whisk to whip the cream.. my arm was aching, which clearly demonstrates how lazy I've become with all my fancy modern technological contraptions!

The scones were served with this delightful strawberry & rhubarb jam that was all syrupy and perfect for scones as well as the cream (which we did a mighty fine job of whipping - yay for team work!).

Phillipa in her gorgeous Emmeline apron
 I had to snap a picture of Phillipa in her gorgeous reversible apron that she made using the very popular Emmeline pattern. One day soon I'll get around to making an apron for myself.. I even went so far as to buy my fabric (which Blossom & Bean liked so much they've demanded aprons of their own!) but I was still hunting for the perfect pattern. I like the Emmeline pattern, but sadly I'm rather generous in the decolletage area and I'd need to modify the pattern to fit. As it happens I found a pattern that I think will suit, followed promptly by some more fabric that I adored, so now I will have to make 2 aprons (ok, make that 4 once you add in the kids).
Don't you love seeing things you've made being used?
 Then it was time to go and take happy snaps of things around Phillipa's house. Like the tea cosy that I made for her (her choice of fabrics - aren't they gorgeous?). There's this special feeling that you get when you see people using something that you've made, isn't there? And then I decided that we should showcase some of Phillipa's talent.. while most of my projects are still in the planning/have purchased fabric stage, Phillipa actually gets hers finished!
A top for Little Miss J
 There's a pretty top for Miss J, whose favourite colour is orange. I believe that Phillipa has also purchased some fabric to make another top in this design for her eldest daughter, Miss E.
A nightie for Miss H or Miss J
 Then there was the adorable summer nightie that I think is for Miss J, but might be for Miss H. I'm not sure that I could put Blossom in a white nightie, she's too grubby.. but I do love the idea of a traditional white cotton nightie... so clean and so cool.
A dress for Miss H
 And last but not least (and really, not last.. just for today) the gorgeous apple print dress that Phillipa made for Miss H. She will look adorable in those bold colours! But then again, Phillipa's girls are always adorable.
I can see a Kookaburra! 
And don't think I forgot about the actual stitching and bitching part. Belinda is working on a cross stitch project that she rediscovered after 20 odd years in storage. Over the last couple of months it has really started to take shape and I am confident that it will not be another 20 years before we see this project completed!
Cutting fabric for pillows
Phillipa's project of the day was cutting fabric panels in order to make some pillows and a wall hanging for Miss J's bedroom. I anticipate that by next week's stitch 'n' bitch she will probably have finished the pillows!

Kym was working on a camoflage lens cover for her father-in-law to use while taking photos of birds (so as not to scare them), but she refused to be photographed after she saw the photos from the pasta making post! I'll get you next time, my pretty!

And once I stopped happy snapping I sat down to do some more work on my green crocheted poncho that I was planning to wear to WICKED!

While that was the sum of our stitch 'n' bitch outing, Belinda, Phillipa and I also had a little outing to our local Spotlight store on Friday, where we managed to find more fabric to add to our future projects list. Oh happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment